**Updated with Official press Release at 3:39pm est
Rumors of a NEW Marvel vs Capcom game have been rumbling around for quite some time, with questions centered around who Marvel would allow front and center for this epic video game throwdown. Those with fond memories of Wolverine's "Berserker Barrage" could shelve that enthusiasm, along with dreams of the return of Sabretooth, Juggernaut and the rest of the X-Men Universe. Those with visions of Fantastic Four heroes and villains...will face a similar let down, to be sure. Of course all this is not set in stone, but as the FOX/Marvel rift still remains, it seems unlikely anyone not owned (at least in part ...lookin at you Spidey) by Marvel Studios would be left on the bench. Still...HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE WE GOT AN AWESOME VIDEO GAME WITH MARVEL COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS??!! Welp..it's time. And as expected, it is glorious...
Brought to you LIVE from the Capcom Cup via Versus Fighting TV! From the sounds of people losing their freaking minds...this is going to be one to watch.
- Reborn Rivalries: Universes collide once again in this all-new crossover clash for the ages, where players select their favorite Marvel and Capcom characters and engage in accessible and action-packed 2v2 partner battles.
- Infinite Power: Pulled from classic Marvel lore, unique and game-changing Infinity Stones can be implemented into players’ strategies as a way to influence the outcome of battle. Each Infinity Stone provides a unique advantage to the player and represents a different aspect of the universe: power, space, time, reality, soul, and mind.
- Iconic Heroes: Choose from a diverse roster of fan favorite characters pulled from Marvel and Capcom universes, including Iron Man and Captain America from the Marvel side, and Ryu and Mega Man X from Capcom. Many more playable characters will be revealed in the future.
- Cinematic Story: Heroes and villains battle for supremacy in a timeless struggle set in the Marvel and Capcom universes. The original storyline answers the questions regarding the new clash and lets players step into the shoes of classic characters from both sides as they wage war against powerful forces in an attempt to defeat a new villain.
- Accessible Single Player Content: In addition to the cinematic story experience, players can hone their skills in a variety of accessible single player modes, including Training, Mission and Arcade modes.
- Vast Multiplayer Features: Robust online modes and content including ranked and casual matches, global leaderboards, and online lobbies with spectator mode deepen the overall experience.
- Graphics: Unreal Engine 4 technology pushes the cinematic visuals and next-gen realism into a new era.
Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced MARVEL VS. CAPCOM: INFINITE, the return of the highly revered action-fighting game series. Marvel and Capcom universes collide like never before as iconic characters team up for action-packed player-versus-player combat. MARVEL VS. CAPCOM: INFINITE is currently in development and will simultaneously release on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One®, and Windows PC worldwide in late 2017.
“For the last two decades, Marvel vs. Capcom has been one of the most celebrated franchises among fans,” said Mike Jones, Executive Producer, Marvel Entertainment. “To deliver on that legacy, we’ve worked closely with Capcom to create a game that honors the heritage of the series and combines Marvel’s unique brand of storytelling with Capcom’s world-class gameplay. We’re raising the bar with Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite and are excited for players to get their hands on it next year.”
Imagined and created through a shared vision between the two companies, MARVEL VS. CAPCOM: INFINITE will feature a variety of exciting and accessible single player modes and rich multi-player content for new players and longtime fans alike. In addition to single player Arcade, Training, and Mission modes, a visually stunning and immersive cinematic Story Mode will put players at the center of both universes as they battle for survival against a sinister new threat.
“It was deeply inspiring for our development team to join forces again with Marvel and we can’t wait for our fans to experience the benefits of that collaboration first hand,” said Michael Evans, Director of Production for Capcom USA. “With Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, our goal is to provide memorable experiences and infinite gameplay possibilities for players of all skill levels.”
MARVEL VS. CAPCOM: INFINITE is being built to highlight a combination of iconic and fan favorite characters and stages from both universes, including Captain Marvel and Iron Man from the Marvel side, and Ryu and Mega Man X from Capcom. More characters, stages, modes and features will be revealed in the coming months. Tune in to ESPN2 on Sunday at 5:30PM PST, December 4 during the Capcom Cup 2016 broadcast to see an exclusive first look of an extended gameplay trailer from MARVEL VS. CAPCOM: INFINITE.
In anticipation of the new game, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is being re-released for current generation systems; with the “PlayStation 4” digital download version available today and the Xbox One® and Windows PC versions coming in March 2017. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for current-gen systems includes a new gallery mode, is packed with all previous DLC, and features an improved 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second. The re-release of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is being offered as an individual download title on all systems for $24.99.