Thursday, February 13, 2014

Toy Fair 2014: Marlene Bonnelly's Impending Geek Overload

Toy Fair is coming!
I’m honored to say that this will be my first year attending on behalf of Idle Hands, and I couldn’t be more excited. Next week I’ll be embracing my inner child as I gleefully romp through rows and rows of colorful toys, action figures and collectibles, snapping away with my camera and likely drawing the ire of respectable retailers everywhere.

There will be a lot featured at the show, but there are a few items I’m most looking forward to seeing up close. Apologies in advance to their respective companies for my inevitable face-prints on the glass.

Jaegers! Kaiju! Yes! Cherno Alpha was one of my favorite jaegers from the movie (R.I.P., you beautiful Russian pilots) and I can’t wait to see how NECA has put its miniature version together. My top pick from this series, however, has to be the Battle Damaged Knifehead, not only because the monster’s design is frighteningly amazing, but because its sheer size and the bold splash of blue blood will make it a definite centerpiece on any shelf.

Despite being a diehard comic book fan, I know next to nothing about this team… and yet I’m already in love with them. So in love, in fact, that I grabbed one of the limited Rocket Raccoon plushes last year at NYCC. There’s something inexplicably charming about a little woodland creature with a penchant for explosions, and that translates to his Marvel Legends version, too. 



DC isn’t kidding around with its releases this year. There are so many I want to get my hands on, from the Greg Capullo armored Batman to the Infinite Crisis Atomic Poison Ivy. Several of my friends are already eager for the newest Bombshell statue, as well, a sassy-looking Zatanna complete with rabbit sidekick. My personal favorite of the lot? The L’il Gotham-inspired set of four. Any chance to own Dustin Nguyen’s art in 3D is one I’ll happily take.

Of course, I’m sure I’ll run into plenty of other noteworthy goods as I explore the show floor. Fear not! I’ll be reporting as much on the site as I can and live-tweeting my bigger discoveries. Make sure to follow the Idle Hands Flickr account and my own Twitter for up-to-the-minute updates.

And if you see me at the Fair, be sure to say hi! I’ll be the brunette standing awe-struck in the aisles or talking into her DSLR.

New York Toy Fair is mere DAYS away, so keep checking back for more!
Check in on our Flickr Galleries regularly for extra images from these sets and more!

No comments :

Post a Comment