These days, when you say Asbury Park, NJ, folks think Jersey Shore and Zombies. One drive through town and you'll agree it is the perfect location for most Troma films (take that as you will), but among the bitten up streets and closed down venues is a shining diamond called Asbury Lanes. This venue is doing its best to breathe some life back into this dusty town with Dr. Sketchy, Burlesque, films and the standard...punk rock bowling. NOW, the venue pulls a quick change and becomes the location for an actual, full blown Comic Con.
Asbury Park Comic Con will feature a wide variety of comic book & pop culture purveyors as well as many comic book creators, artists and illustrators from the New York and Philadelphia metropolitan areas. Comic fans will have a rare opportunity to meet the artists, who will be available to sign books that will be sold at each artist’s table. Commissioned sketches are also available from many of the artists for a fee. Special guests include:
• Eisner Award winner Evan Dorkin (creator of Milk & Cheese, co-creator of Beasts of Burden, writer for Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Shin Chan,)
• Sarah Dyer (creator of Action Girl, writer for such television shows as Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Shin Chan, Superman, and Batman Beyond)
• Michael Kupperman (creator of Tales Designed to Thrizzle and Mark Twain’s Autobiography 1910-2010)
• Jamal Igle (Super Girl, The Ray, Green Lantern Corps, and many other DC and Marvel books)
• Danny Hellman (cartoonist for New York Press, Time, Sports Illustrated, Screw, Village Voice, and many others)
• Steve Mannion (creator of Fearless Dawn published by Asylum Press)
• Fred Van Lente (co-creator of Cowboys and Aliens, writer for Marvel, Valiant, and Evil Twin’s Action Philosophers)
• Stephanie Buscema (illustrator for Web of Spider-Man, Girl Comics, Adventure Time Comic)
• Mike & Ming of the AMC television show Comic Book Men. The pair from Secret Stash and the podcast I Sell Comics will be doing a live broadcast from the Asbury Comic Con.
Also on hand:
CLIFF GALBRAITH • RYAN DUNLAVEY • CHARLES SOULE • DAVE RYAN • ERIC GRISSOM • PHIL SLOAN
The event features a unique location for a gathering of the comics community. The Asbury Lanes is a second home to punk rockers, hot rodders, artists, and bowlers. Built in 1963, the Lanes is like a time machine to a bygone era of low-brow bowling heaven and rock’n’roll refuge. The venue has hosted music legends and cult heroes such as Dick Dale, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Reverend Horton Heat, Mick Jones of The Clash, The Supersuckers, The Butthole Surfers, Jello Biafra of Dead Kennedys, The Gaslight Anthem, Murphy’s Law and Bouncing Souls.
And yes...there will be booze!
So hit the Asbury Lanes this Saturday, May 12th to meet some excellent comic creators, buy some comics and say hi to me! I'll be the guy buried beneath 300 Mucus Tick action figures. Come buy one!! Visit Asburyparkcomicon.com for more info